What we're looking for:
JRA Educational Consulting is expanding beyond our five offices in Southeast Florida (Palm Beach and Broward Counties) to Winter Park, Florida… and thus expanding our staff to one more full-time educational consultant/college counselor to begin work this semester.
Our College Counselors/Educational Consultants are educators responsible for guiding students (and their parents) as they plan for and apply to college.
This full-time, year-round position encompasses these responsibilities:
- Meet with students and parents to guide them through all steps of the college planning and application process, and to answer their questions
- Guide and monitor students through their high school course selections
- Guide students to select extracurricular activities and summer programs that enrich to their interests and strength their college applications
- Teach students how to best market themselves to college by working together to develop and maintain their activity résumé
- Help students develop an ACT/SAT test-prep plan, and monitor testing progress
- Help students create a list of appropriate colleges to research, visit, and apply to, and direct them to resources to learn about those colleges
- Work closely with each student to brainstorm application essay ideas, and then review/critique each essay draft
- Prepare students for effective college visits and both on-campus and alumni interviews
- Work with students and parents to create an application timeline, including a thoughtful determination about early decision
- Proactively track students’ progress, notifying them and/or parents when they’re falling behind
- Provide encouragement to keep students positive and help reduce their stress
- Occasionally travel to colleges and conferences to keep current on college admissions
- Assist our lead consultant, Judi Robinovitz, in college-admission research projects
- Write college-admission-related blogs for our website
- Lead and/or support our college-planning workshops and webinars for students and parents
- Participate in local college fairs, meeting with families to explain and promote our college-counseling and test-prep services
- At least of 3 years’ experience working as an admission officer at a selective university and/or as a college counselor (high-school-based or independent)
- Genuinely enjoy working with adolescents, and adept at developing good rapport
- Outstanding communication skills: articulate, patient, clear, willing to explain details multiple times, able to ensure student follow-through
- A malleable personal schedule to meet with students in the late afternoons, evenings, and on weekends when students are not at school
- Formidable computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) that will allow, among other things, for keeping student and college files organized and providing quick response to emails the same day they are received
- Superb organizational, record-keeping, and time management skills
- Exceptional creative writing and editing skills within what is often a time-constrained schedule
- Collaborative problem-solver and creative thinker with a solid work ethic
- BA/BS required; graduate degree in an associated field is strongly preferred
Learn more about who we are and what we do at on our website. To apply for the position, please email your résumé, cover letter, and a brief writing sample (1-3 pages) to Judi@JRAec.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex.